Updated on 12 Feb, 2021
Sahan Books has the highest respect for your privacy and is committed to protecting it. Sahan Books (“we”) support and abide by all the relevant personal data privacy laws and we ensure that any data you share with us is secure. It’s your data, so we believe you should have control over it. We work hard to deserve your trust.
The purpose of this policy
- What information we collect when you use our website, services, products, and content or visit our shops.
- How we collect, store, use, transfer, and delete that information.
- How and why we’ll keep in touch with you, and how you can access, update or delete your information.
- How to find out more or ask us a question about privacy.
What information we collect from you
To give you the best possible experience when you interact with us, we collect information from you.
Some of this information you’ll actively give us when you register for a Sahan Books account, visit our shops, buy a book, comment on a blogpost, leave a book review or otherwise engage with us. This information might be things like:
- Your name, email address, postal address, phone number.
- Order and payment information.
- Image recordings on our shop CCTV.
- Your Sahan Books username and social media handle.
- Requests and reviews.
We collect other information, based on your actions when you visit our website or use our services, such as:
- Your IP address.
- The pages you view and how long you stay on them for.
- The searches you make (we like to know what books people are looking for!) and your buying habits.
- Information about your device.
- Referral information i.e. how you got to one of our web pages.
What we do with the information we collect
We use the information we collect to:
- Supply you with the products and services you have ordered from our website, or in our shops.
- Respond to your requests, comments or concerns.
- Enable you to personalise our services and share content.
- Notify you about changes or updates.
- Email you with information about special offers, products, services, events, competitions, surveys and promotions, all in accordance with your preferences.
- Process returns and refunds.
- Provide, test, improve, promote and personalise our services to you.
- Fight spam and other forms of abuse.
- Generate non-identifying information about how people use our services, so that we can improve these services.
- Comply with relevant laws and regulations.
- Protect the rights, property or safety of us or third parties, including other customers and users of our website and our shops.
One of our key purposes is to encourage children to read, therefore:
- We welcome children over the ages of 13 to browse our website.
- Welcome children under the age of 13 to browse our site under their parents’ or caregiver’s supervision.
What we send you: marketing communications
When you send us an email, we use your email address to thank you for your message and to answer your request or question. Apart from our response, we will never use your email address to send you unsolicited information, nor will we sell or share it with anyone else.
When you accept to receive information about our books and services, we will use your email address to send you details of new books out, other products and services, promotions, newsletters or anything we think that you’ll be interested in, until you ask us to stop. It’s easy to unsubscribe from these communications - an unsubscribe link will be included in anything we send to you. Simply click the link and follow the instructions to unsubscribe. If you register for a Sahan Books account, you will find marketing preference choices so that you can control what, if anything, you receive from us.
What we send you: operational emails
Sometimes we will need to send you emails about business operations e.g. about your orders, a subscription is expiring or changes to any of our policies. You can’t opt out of this kind of email because we need to make sure that we perform our legal duties to you.
All about information disclosure
In some circumstances we may share information about you in order to provide you with the books and services you have ordered or the events you attend. For instance, we will need to share your personal information to third party delivery companies or payment companies which we use to take your payments and deliver your books.
We will never transfer information about you to third parties for the purpose of facilitating third-party advertising to you and we will never sell information about you to a third-party.
How we protect your information
We maintain the highest standards of security and safety so that we earn your trust, which is very important to us.
We have information security policies, rules and technology in place to protect your personal information from:
- Unauthorised access.
- Improper use or disclosure.
- Unauthorised modification and.
- Unlawful destruction or accidental loss.
All of our employees and data processors (i.e. people and companies who process your personal information on our behalf), who have access to, and are associated with the processing of your personal information, must respect the confidentiality of your personal information by law.
Tracking and cookies
We use browser cookies and similar technologies to recognise you when you return to our website. We use them in various ways:
- To log you in, if you have a Sahan Books account.
- To remember your preferences (such as your default language).
- To evaluate the effectiveness of our marketing.
- To personalise content and other services.
We do not otherwise track your visits or activities off the Sahan Books website, although if you are directed to our website from another page, we do record that page URL.
Third party access
We use certain trusted companies and affiliates to help us provide, promote and protect our website and services. For instance, we may use third parties to help us with customer support, manage our data storage or facilitate orders, deliveries and payments. These third parties may access, use or store your data but only for the purposes that we’ve authorised, and we require them to provide the same level of privacy protection described in this policy.
How long will we keep your personal information for?
We will keep your personal information for the purposes set out in this policy and in accordance with relevant law and regulations. We will never keep your personal information for longer than we need to.
How to access/control your data
Your personal data is yours. Therefore we believe you have every right to control it. In terms of rights and access, we abide by the GDPR regulations around data access as best practice.
You have the right to:
- Access your personal information and to be informed about its use by us.
- Correct your personal information.
- Have your personal information deleted.
- Restrict the use of your personal information.
- Object to the use of your personal information.
- Withdraw your consent to the use of your personal information
- Ask for the personal information to be transferred elsewhere.
The accuracy of your information is important. If the personal information you have provided to us changes, if you change email address, or any of the other information we hold, please email us at email@example.com
How to contact us about privacy
If you have any questions or concerns about the privacy and security of your data, please get in
touch with us at:
Alternatively, please write to us at:
Nuur Hawse Plaza
Wadada Madaxtooyada, 26 June